How To - Cowboy Coffee
Years ago I had the pleasure to volunteer at Rawhide Ranch in Bonsall, CA. One of my morning chores was to demonstrate how to make "cowboy coffee" for the campers.
I thought I would share our recipe in case you want to try this at your next camping trip, or cookout. Of course cowboy coffee tastes better in one of our mugs.
Cowboy Coffee Recipe
- 12 tablespoons or 3/4 cup of your favorite coffee grounds
- 4 cups of creek water (or regular tap water if creek water not available).
- Bring water to a boil (this will kill any critters in your creek water).
- Remove from heat and cool for about a minute.
- Add the coffee grounds to the water.
- Return to heat.
- Bring to a simmer (if you allow to boil again, your coffee will be bitter).
- Remove from the heat and allow to simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Stir the coffee and allow to rest for a couple more minutes.
- To speed up the process of the grounds settling to the bottom, you can add about 1/4 cup cold water.
- Add a pinch of salt, or crushed eggshells to reduce bitterness.
- Pour slowly to avoid the ground
- Enjoy! Tastes better if consumed while wearing a 10 gallon hat and crouching next to the fire.